4.16.2012

With college decisions over...

...now is the time to start posting some of the essays I've written.

Most people find writing essays for college applications a chore, but I found joy in them, somehow. I suppose I had to, if only to keep me writing and keep me sane. But every essay I wrote was a foray into who I was.

So here's the essay that I used for my common application, meaning every college I applied to saw this - and some of them asked me about it.


Wait and See

You see that child? Yes, that one – the only one in the throng of five-year-olds who isn’t wearing a traditional princess dress. She’s dressed as Jasmine, because Jasmine is the only Disney princess who wears pants, and hence, the only one with enough mobility to have a good time – which she does not hesitate to do. Her brightly sequined, loudly jingling top and pants allow her to be almost everywhere at once, chattering away with her friends or organizing talent shows for an amused parent audience. When an adult gathers the little princesses together for a group picture, she’s the one striking a dramatic movie star pose, while everyone else sits prettily and says “cheese.”   
You see that kid? There, among the sweltering hordes of Disney World vacationers. She’s the one with the face paint and outlandish belt – taking full advantage of the park’s “Star Wars Weekends,” she and her brother have become vicious bounty hunters scouring the galaxy for targets…while waiting in line for a ride experiencing “technical difficulties.”  Suddenly, she points out their targets: two four-foot-tall Jedi in line behind them - sweaty, cranky, and wearing thin the patience of all within earshot.  Slowly, deliberately, the girl walks up to them, resting one hand on an imaginary laser blaster. “You two Jedi?” One boy gulps, and responds defiantly, “Yeah… what are you?” Winking at his mother, she growls, “Bounty hunters. We eat Jedi for dinner.” The other boy catches on, yells “Heyaah!” and the battle is on – plastic lightsabers versus finger guns – to the amusement of the other park-goers. By the time the miniature Jedi have vanquished the bounty hunters once and for all, the line is moving again. One of the mothers mouths a silent thank-you to the girl, now faking a severe limp as she moves up in line.
                You see that girl? There, in that mini-van speeding down the highway towards the Poconos. While the other teenagers argue over which ski slopes to hit first, she sits quietly, perusing a coil-bound transcript of “God and Country Radio”‘s program on John Calvin’s Treatise On Civil Government. Eventually, she looks up and asks its author, engaged at the steering wheel, “Pastor, you believe that the state should be under the authority of the Bible?” If he were to turn around, he might notice the gleam in her eye and attempt to forestall the coming storm; but, thinking her question to be merely mild curiosity – after all, he only gave her the transcript as debate team research material - he replies in the affirmative. “Why?” she challenges. “What about freedom of religion?” Thus begins a spirited dialogue spanning everything from Locke’s Second Treatise of Government to Catholic beliefs on separation of church and state – a dialogue that will last the rest of the two-hour car trip, through lunch break, and for most of the way back home, long after the rest of the car’s occupants have fallen asleep from exhaustion.
                You see this girl? Yes, this one right here, writing college essays with one hand and eating a chocolate cookie – nature’s best brain food – with the other. When this is finished, she will click “submit,” log off the laptop, and find some other adventure to embark on. Who will she be talking to, playing with, masquerading as, debating with?
Wait and see. 

6 comments:

  1. DUDE! haha that is so creative and really really good :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good. I thoroughly enjoyed your essay, Faith. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basically, all I get from this is that you have an over-inflated ego. You think that you're more enlightened than the pastor (who has probably actually read Calvin and Locke) and more intelligent than the other children who enjoy disney princess dresses and skiing. You make everyone else sound simplistic because that's how you view them. To the poster above: this is not creative or witty, it's self-indulging.

    Who will this girl be talking to, playing with, masquerading as, debating with? The misfits, the lonely, the ignored, and the disliked. You'll never become anything until you stop thinking so highly of yourself and learn to appreciate and value others as your contemporaries. Quit being so arrogant, people will like you better.

    (PS. I'm not just basing this on this one post, this attitude comes through in everything you write)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize if I come across that way - you should know if you've written any, that college essays are meant for you to show off. In this essay, I wasn't striving to show that I was more intelligent/enlightened than anyone else - simply that I was unusual. The pastor did read Calvin and Locke, as did I, and we both had an enjoyable time discussing it. As a child, I enjoyed dress-up, and I still enjoy skiing - neither of those activities makes you less intelligent (second paragraph: I go to Disneyworld in costume. Measure of intelligence?). Any egotism you might have seen, and your assumptions as to what I think, are what you've read into it. And I apologize if what you've read into it has caused you pain, but it's no fault of mine, and I find it pretentious for you to assume that I think like that.

      Of course, if you know me outside of the internet, that's a different matter, and I'd appreciate it if you grew the guts to say these kinds of things to my face, rather than posting anonymously. If you don't, I really don't believe you have the right to assume what I think.

      In response to your second paragraph: surprisingly enough, I do. I interact with misfits, the lonely, the ignored, and the disliked, sometimes more so than I do the always-fitting-in, the social, the loudmouths, and the popular. Because I find that they need to be "appreciated and valued" more than everyone else, and, in some cases, they're more worthy of it than the accepted ones. The kind of criticism you've given, and the way you speak of those kinds of people, hardly seems to be the talk of someone who "appreciates and values" these kinds of people "as your contemporaries." I would like you better if you did.

      I'm glad you read through "everything I write." It's nice to know I inspire such dedication.

      Delete
    2. My response may have been somewhat harsh, but it is what it is nonetheless. I don't know you personally. However, the author reveals herself through what she writes. I am a neutral outside party who is observing you simply by what you write and this was my critique.

      My comment on the type of company you may keep was not intended to be a swipe at the unpopular or disadvantaged. Many people fall into these categories and it is important and right that they be treated with kindness. I am not at all saying that these people are undeserving of your attention and friendship. Equally, I am not saying that all those who are misfits, lonely, ignored, and disliked don't deserve to be such. There are many proud people who wear their idiosyncrasies on their sleeves as an excuse for why people don't like them...when they are simply disliked for being an ass.

      My point is: if you want to rub shoulders with great people, it takes a certain level of personal humility to do so. Without it, the discerning reader will immediately dismiss you as apish.

      but what do i know...i'm just some asshole on the internet trolling your blog.

      Delete
  4. Tone is a tricky thing, and, cruel as I was in my last comment, I appreciate your comments. I'm often entirely unaware of "how I sound" to people - I write as I see, without enough concern for "how people think that I think"; so these reminders are helpful, when deployed carefully. However, I highly doubt you are a "neutral" outside party - no one really is. I am curious, though, as to what exactly it is that I've done to excite you so (if I may make an interpretation of tone, your first response was heated, to say the least).

    I understand that what you said was not directed at the unpopular or disadvantaged, but, as you say, "the author reveals herself through what she writes." I can't help but wonder if your own advice applies to yourself.

    I also find it interesting that you think it wrong to look down upon people who are "unpopular" or "dsadvantaged," and yet you are more than willing to look down on people who are "being an ass," by which you mean people who look down on other people. Funny that we think that everyone should be humble, and then take pride in the fact that we are humble, look down on those whom we perceive as looking down on others, and speak with arrogance towards those who do the same. What does that make us?

    *end pontification*

    ReplyDelete