7.26.2010

kung-fu phony

I've recently been watching a lot of kung-fu movies, thanks in part to my mom's efforts to integrate more Chinese into my life. But as part of it...I've become rather jaded.

First of all, a disclaimer. I do not bash kung-fu movies because of their over-masculinity. I do not claim to dislike action movies. I do not claim to dislike violence in movies.

However, it is the ludicrousness and the predictability of such movies that I dislike. I mean, quite honestly, one man repeatedly battling huge swarms of minions and then battling "THE EPIC EVIL DUDE OF DOOM" in a close fight and then winning is no way for a story to go. It is hardly realistic. It is hardly anything but predictable. And although there is a stereotypical theme (usually that of courage in impossible odds, or of fighting for what you believe in, or the like), one can argue, and argue well, that there are a hundred better ways to portray it than through a kung-fu movie.

Although the physical conflict is more than present, I must argue that the emotional conflict in such cases tend to be tacky, or nonexistent. The characters are stereotypes, and the dialogue something out of a comic book. They have very little depth, and too much action. In fact, oftentimes, there is too much action and too little story for anyone to really care about the characters, much less how they end up. And usually, one can guess those as well.

I guess there is some thrill in seeing epic battles play out on the screen. However, this last note I have to say: the best conflict is played out not on the battlefield, but in the heart and in the mind.

4 comments:

  1. Of course! This stereotype has been replayed thousands, if not millions of times, not just in movies but in books and video games. My most notable favorite is Legend of Zelda...exactly the same thing. A predictable story line, however, never made me look down upon a video game, book, or movie: often it is the sub-plots or other little things that make the whole thing worth watching, or playing, or reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you've just nailed the plot of a lot of kung fu movies right there. The cliches are sort of part of the charm, though. After watching too many you just go "Blah...", but every now and then it's really enjoyable to just sit back and watch a familiar story retold.

    One of my personal favourites is House of Flying Daggers--if you ain't seen it yet, that's one of the ones worth watching. That and "Hero".

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hero" is one of my all-time favorites. And that's more of an epic, not really what I call a kung-fu movie. It definitely is more well-done.
    "House of Flying Daggers" is one that has been recommended to me several times. I will look it up.
    "Red Cliff" is a great one. Again, it's more of the historical epic than the kung-fu movie, but it's insanely good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, go watch "House of the Flying Daggers." It really helps if you can understand Chinese. The translation doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete