1.30.2011

Seeing Stars

All the people in the universe. All of them, each with his own soul and personality, loves and hates, hurts and joys. Six billion points of light, six billion unique stars, each radiating, to some degree or other, the beauty and majesty of his Creator. Six billion people, all worth knowing, all worth loving. When did we lose the wonder of it all?

I made a new friend recently. And it's funny, but the first time I met her (a month ago), I was convinced that we would never be very close - she seemed very different from me, with a completely different life, different background, different school, different sorrows, different culture, different everything.

The ironic thing is...we are now close friends, and are constantly discovering more things that we have in common every day.

And I've realized something that I'm pretty sure is true: It is possible to connect with anyone, anyone in the universe. For when we truly see people as they are, we realize that they are us, and we are them, no matter how different we may be.

Understanding someone is mysterious and wondrous. And it is so rare, so very rare. If only we could see with eyes unclouded, if only we could hear with attention, if only we could speak with thought, if only we could act with compassion.
O God, give us eyes that see beyond the face, ears that hear beyond the words, and hearts that reach beyond, into the soul.

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, and I feel the exact same way. I am so incredibly greatful to God for the countless blessings he has bestowed upon me, especially the developing friendship between the three of us. It feels wonderful to have such a special connection with someone, and I treasure our relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It is possible to connect with anyone, anyone in the universe." And this is what is more incredibly rewarding about humanity.

    ReplyDelete